Why I will not be continuing A Darker Shade of Magic Series

Blame it all on Lila Bard. Honestly, my reading experience would have been much more enjoyable if she had not been a part of this amazing novel.



The world in which this series takes place is just beautiful and would have been one of the reasons I would continue on with the series. Kell was an O-K protagonist but it was the magic system of this book that lured me into completing this book. The whole concept of traveling between three Londons was something very original. The writing is super indulging and was the reason why I stuck on. The villains too are extremely EVIL which is why they are interesting. But the cherry on the cake was the one character that according to me was not done justice and that was Rhy- the Prince of Red London. Seriously this was the only character compelling enough and he was not given enough screen time. There is nothing I hate more than the right characters not being given enough chapters of a novel. He was only there when the plot needed a twist and that's it. He is literally forgotten after the supposed "plot twist" takes place.

Which brings me to Lila Bard. According to me, Lila had no reason whatsoever for being a part of this entire novel. She literally served no purpose other than being a total irrelevant addition to each and every page of this novel. She was whiny, arrogant even though she was the one who insisted on being allowed to join Kell in his adventure. Her "I'm always right" attitude annoyed the crap out of me and made me want to ditch her back in grey London. I understand why people liked her for being a "Feminist" character but her annoying "Everybody else but me is pathetic" attitude did no wonders for me. Yes, she does save Kell many times but the supposed threats to his life just felt forced and not threatening enough. It felt as though the threats were being used to give some relevance to their bond and strengthen their relationship which I did not buy.

It's not that I didn't try to read the next book. I did try to read it. I opened the book, sat down, I told myself that I will ignore Lila as much as possible and that I will focus on the world and Rhy only. But then I read the first sentence and the book begins with Lila's perspective. That's when I shut the book and swore it off. SO... that's why I will not be continuing with "A darker shade of Magic" series (yet).

With that, I leave you to your devices.

Introvert Out.

Comments

Popular Posts